At this time there are thousands of social media managers, content creators and all sorts of message creating marketers publishing statuses, tweets and news all around the world. Some of them know what they are doing and others don’t. Moreover, in the past few years, there has been an explosion of all sorts of names marketers come up with to call and differentiate themselves…
- Having 13,695 followers on Twitter, when you follow 12,436 of them, does not make you an influencer or a tweep that knows what he/she is doing.
- Being linked to over 5000 people on LinkedIn doesn’t click in that direction either.
- Befriending everyone you meet at an airport, bar or hotel lounge during your business trip or holiday, does not make an influencer of yourself on Facebook either.
Social media skill does not go around the proverbial “size matters”. And here is Why:
- Relevance matters. People, customers or users (any way you want to put a label on your target audience) needs to find value in order to give you any sugar. And they are all egocentric, in the sense that they are all online to get things done (killing time is also a task driven deed).
- Personas creation is the foundation. Your traffic (leading to conversion) has its own identity. It has emotions, needs and already established beliefs and opinions, as well as working patterns. They all need to be addressed in your phrasing, tone and general approach. Segmenting into groups and zeroing in common traits and patterns is a king. In most cases, you do have more than one group of individuals with the same drive, desire or method.
- Timing is everything. Spamming your timeline with an AK47 full round at 8 in the morning or 5 pm won’t deliver anything more than an annoyance in the unfortunate followers or friends of yours. Buffering, scheduling and basically planning to deliver a way more significant impact.
- Constructing the moment gets you the conversion. No, I don’t mean being opportunistic. I mean laying down the framework and formwork to pour the concrete later. People take decisions in their own timing. Consistency across all your channels will actually help to create that moment. Shared reference when introducing something unpopular or not that streamline, does wonders as well. Just being there and doing nothing is more harmful than not being there at all. Tweeting once every two months shows everyone just how serious you are.
- Business and personal social media time spending are a must. These are two different animals, but they both need to be fed, watered and taken care of. If you are just taking care of one of them, you need to get another job. No excuses!
- Likes, dislikes and indifference all come together hand in hand. There are people who react to a message and such that stay impassioned. So use different messages, tone and try to get the pulse of what your audience responds better to.
Love or hate? Well, the comment section is below. Use it!
Copyright © 2012 Borislav Kiprin. All Rights Reserved.